Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Contentment

Are you totally content with your lot? 

I'll be the first to admit (with some embarrassment) that there are days when I complain or worry too much about this or that.         
My husband is quick to remind me that we have it pretty good. 

He reminds me that it's about the JOURNEY, not the DESTINATION!  So true...

This is a great book, Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow.


I read this book along with a group of women in a bible study.  It was a real eye opener 
on understanding what true contentment is, and how your perception of your circumstances, 
your roles and your relationships can keep your from possessing a heart of true contentment.

 
In the book, Linda Dillow, introduces us to a woman named Ella.  "Ella worked as a missionary with
the pygmies in Africa for 52 years.  She had left her country, her family, and all that was familiar.  
Primitive doesn't begin to describe her living conditions in the scorching heat and humiditiy of 
the African bush.  But Ella found no relief because electricity, air conditioning and 
other modern conveniences were only a dream."  

Linda Dillow became friends with Ella's daughter who had found an old diary of her mother's.  
In the diary she discovered Ella's prescription for contentment.  


As you can see I've copied the 'prescription' and put it somewhere that I will see it
daily to remind me that nothing I worry about is in my hands.  

 Have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a good list to live by and a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful and so true. I am trying to be more content with the things around me and as silly as this is, one of the things that has made a difference is (I am so sad to say this) watching the Real Housewives of Orange County/ Atlanta/ New York/ Beverly Hills. You can have all the money, all the house, all the cars and luxuries and still be absolutely miserable and mean spirited. It has made me realize that I don't need bigger and better. I have a wonderful home, great husband, and beautiful healthy child. This is where my contentment lies and in knowing the path that God has for me. I am learning to be content and will be buying this book! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete